Home Remodeling: Do’s and Donts
When it is time for a home remodeling project, it’s a good idea to know what to do as well as what you should not do.
Home Remodeling and a Professional Handyman
First off, hire a professional handyman in Chandler. We can’t stress that enough.
Once you have hired a Chandler handyman, here are some do’s and don’ts, from ElleDecor.com:
“1. Do consider your contractor’s personality. This person will be in your home each day, so it’s paramount that you feel comfortable talking to him or her.
2. Don’t be an absentee homeowner. Communicate with your contractor daily by phone or e-mail, and meet once a week face-to-face.
3. Do ask for a contract. A good contract should cover the following: start and finish dates, total cost (include how add-ons will be handled), a payment schedule, names of all parties, contractor’s license number, description of project, and provisions for early termination. If necessary, consult a lawyer.
4. Don’t micromanage the crew. Instead, schedule a weekly meeting with the job foreman to discuss progress.
5. Do be wary if your contractor is reluctant to lay out a timeline for your project; it may mean the contractor has too many jobs at once to finish yours on time.
6. Don’t undercut your contractor. The quickest way to sour a relationship is to hire a member of the contractor’s crew to do work after hours for less pay.
7. Do create a directory. Record in a notebook contact information for each person working in your home.
8. Don’t be shy about what you have to spend, especially if money is tight. Everything should be in the contract.
9. Do ask about insurance. Anyone working on your home needs it. You’re liable if you hire an uninsured contractor and one of his crew is injured.
10. Don’t rely on your imagination. Ask to see color swatches and paint chips for finishes before you order materials.
11. Do nominate a decision maker. The easiest way to prevent “he said, she said” is to appoint one family member to deal directly with the contractor and to update everyone else.
12. Don’t be ignorant about permits and regulations. Visit your local building department to find out what requirements affect the design of your remodeling, but if you have an architect or contractor, leave it to them to apply for all of the necessary permits.” [READ MORE]
A Professional Handyman Service Should Be Involved
Involve a professional handyman service in your remodeling. Not only will they have all the tools and expertise necessary for the job, they are a source of great ideas as well.
So remember, you’re a smart consumer. Make the right decisions. Call a professional handyman service in Chandler.
Built By Grace
1121 West Mission Drive
Chandler, AZ 85224